Friday, August 21, 2009

Little bit of an update

Well here is the story just a little at a time because I seem to not have much time. When I got home from Colorado I only had one day to prepare for a new family. This is when I thank my Heavenly Father for family. Mark and my families and friends did so much for us to help us get ready or at least the house ready. We flew out on a Thursday morning and arrived in Guam on Friday night. The total trip was about 23 hours. We did luck out though and on the long flight from LA to Japan we were put in business class. That was sweet!!! Mark and I spent a day in Guam before we went to Saipan to pick up the kids. We just hung out. We went to the beach and it started to poor and I mean poor. We later found out that we were there during their winter so naturally it rained a lot. It was still very warm though. We took a hike on a trail that said enter at your own risk and of course we had to enter. It was beautiful in Guam. We took a trolley around the area that we were in so that we could scope out things we wanted to do with the kids when we got them. We found out quick that it was very expensive to have a family. Sunday morning we flew to Saipan. On that flight we learned that we would be very lucky to make it off of the island with these three kids. I was talking to a lady who asked why we were coming to Saipan so being as excited that I was I told her that we were adopting three children. She then asked if they were Chommoro of course I told her yes. Wow was that a mistake. She was just about in tears and couldn't believe that I was taking 3 Chommoro's off of the island. When we landed Del Benson picked us up and took us to church he instructed us not to tell people why we were there. We noticed that he would tell some people why we were there, however the villagers or Chommoro people he did not tell. After church we drove around the island a little and then met Del at his house and he took us over to the children's home. It was amazing to see what they lived in. I can't even describe it. It was a very small home with just a few windows and some rooms just had dirt floors. This was probably the hardest experience that I ever had. When we got to the home there were seven children there and we were only taking 3. So not only did these children have to say goodbye to their parents they had to leave 4 of their brothers and sisters. There mother was an amazing lady you could just see how much she loved her children and how badly she wanted a better life for them. I can only hope and pray that I can make her proud of her children. After leaving the house we went back to Del's home for awhile and then back to the hotel. This was a hard night. These three beautiful children would just look out the balcony and tell me where their friends lived and what house was their aunties and that they weren't even able to say goodbye to them. Well to say the least I didn't sleep that night. I tossed and turned all night hoping that taking these children from their family was the right thing to do. I instantly loved them but I wasn't totally sure it was right. At about 3 in the morning I could hold my emotions in anymore, I had lost it. I called my mom just sobbing, I couldn't do it! I could take these kids from their family and if I did I wanted all 7 kids. I couldn't just take 3. What kind of a person was I to think this was even okay? All these thoughts were going through my head. Well morning came and it was time to go to the airport. The kids were hoping that their mom would be there to see them one last time but of course she wasn't and they were heart broken. They new so many people who worked in the airport and were asking them where they were going? Kyle the lawyer couldn't waite to get them off this island, he was very worried that we were going to run in to problems. Not anything legal but just with other Chommorow people. Well we made it to Guam and I started to feel better. To be continued.....

6 comments:

Jen said...

Holy Crap--thanks for letting me start the day off crying! What an experience. I am so happy for you that you finally have a family of your own. You will be such a great mom!!

P and C said...

Wow Hilary, what an amazing and I'm sure overwhelming experience! How neat for you! You are such a sweetheart, I'm sure you will be a wonderful mom! Your kids are DARLING!!! I started a new blog too, it's ccandpcfamily.blogspot.com-it's private, but I've got your e-mail still, so I'll add you as a user. :)

Wendy said...

I didn't realize that you they had to leave 4 kids behind. No wonder it was so hard. I can't wait for the next installment!

Linds Forrest said...

Hillari you are truly amazing!! That is SO incredible. I can't wait to read more about your new family and how everything went. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Those kids are just going to adore you!!

Reeves Family said...

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. I think you and Mark are amazing for adopting those kids. What a neat experinece it is for both you guys and the kids. You will truly be blessed.

Unknown said...

Hi,

Nice post.





Kids School in Thousand Lights